Salerno and its Artist Lights
Just 15 minutes from our Hotel, Salerno is a fascinating synthesis of all that the Mediterranean has to offer. The city is increasingly proposed as a welcoming community for tourists and visitors from all over the world. Heart of the city is the medieval quarter: the narrow streets, now full of shops, follow the traces of the medieval urban layout, preserving splendid period buildings and most of the religious architecture.
The focal point of the city's commercial life are the nineteenth-century neighborhoods near the beautiful Lungomare Trieste, one of the longest in Italy, flanked by palm trees, from which you can enjoy the beautiful view of the gulf. A green oasis is the beautiful public garden next to the Giuseppe Verdi Municipal Theater.
The Artist's Lights make Salerno from November to January/February wonderful, bringing tens of thousands of tourists back to the city, colouring it with lights, scents and purely winter sounds and Christmas. We absolutely recommend you to see them if this is the period of your stay, perhaps taking advantage of one of our convenient offers .
Salerno Itinerary: "The medieval city, between the Lombards and Normans "
Departure: Palace of the Province.
Walk through the characteristic medieval historic centre to discover the Lombard and Norman monuments. These are the stages of the itinerary:
- San Pietro a Corte complex with archaeological evidence from the ancient Romans to the Longobards;
- Minerva Gardens, the first example of a botanical garden in Europe;
- Cathedral of Salerno, one of the most important Romanesque monuments in Southern Italy;
- Diocesan Museum where you can admire the Avori Salernitani which are a cycle of 67 ivory tablets;
- Castel Terracena the ancient Royal Palace of the Normans;
- Corso Vittorio Emanuele, with its shops and boutiques;
- Church of the Crucifix built between the 10th and 11th centuries;
- Virtual museum of the Salernitana Medical School;
- Medieval Castle of Arechi, located on the Bonadies hill from which it is possible to admire one of the most beautiful views of the Gulf of Salerno and the Amalfi Coast.
Duration: including the visit to the Arechi Castle can vary from about 5h to 6h, to be evaluated based on the opening times of the monuments and the needs of the group.